Monday 21 October 2013

Week 1

During discussions I realised that I hadn't been clear about my objective for this blog.  It would be great, in fact momentous, that a completed novel would be the outcome of this effort but, for me, I have to let go of that and see the completion of the 52 weeks of exercises as the objective.  This blog is about creating the habit and developing a commitment to writing, learning along the way and keeping hope that a novel (maybe even a decent one) will, one day, sprout from my brain and fingers.  It's been lovely to receive so much support from my friends and I am really looking forward to sharing the journey and getting your feedback.  So, onward.....

Exercise 1

Write one sentence, beginning with the words, 'The day after my eighth birthday, my father told me......'

'.....not to worry and that everything would be alright.  He was wrong, of course, everything had not been alright and never would be.  Mother had left.  She had left both of us, him and me.  She had upped sticks from our lives and decided to have hers somewhere else.  Why she would do that, no one knew.  Not father, not his mother, neither of her parents, nor Lucy, her best friend, nor anyone else for that matter, nobody.  And it had been far from alright.'

Just in case anyone wants to suggest that I can't count, the exercise did continue that more than one sentence could be written if the need arose and, as can be seen, it did.
I can't tell you how relieved I am that I have completed exercise 1 within schedule, we have lift off!

No comments:

Post a Comment